Madonna del Carmine | Church | MASSA
The Madonna del Carmine Curch
The patronal church of the hamlet of Massa di Maratea, dedicated to the Madonna del Carmine, was built by the will of the Mutual Relief Workers Society, founded in 1881 with headquarters in the same village, one of the few workers' associations in Basilicata.
It was consecrated on July 16, 1931 with the same name of the primitive patronal chapel, not far from the church, in the presence of the bishop of Policastro, monsignor Pezzullo, after four years of work.
CHIESA MADONNA DEL CARMINE A MASSA DI MARATEA
Works of art in the Church
The facade was originally designed with two bells on the side of the tympanum, but today it has a clock in the center underneath small bells.
The interior, with a single nave punctuated by arches that act as small side chapels, has a twentieth century decoration that echoes the poor Roman style of the late nineteenth century.
Remarkable is the painting of the Madonna del Carmine placed above the entrance, as well as the colorful papier-mâché statue of St. Michael the Archangel.
Above the high altar, in white marble mixed with polychrome marble, there is a copy of the original statue of the Madonna del Carmine of 1932, preserved in the sacristy, and two paintings, one depicting S. Biagio and the other S. Domenico di Gusman.