Madonna Addolorata | Curch | CERSUTA
The Madonna Addolorata Church [Church of Our Lady of Sorrows]
Located in the oldest village of Cersuta di Maratea, the Church of Madonna Addolorata, built in the seventeenth century, was originally dedicated to St. Catherine of Siena, until it was rededicated to Our Lady of Sorrows in recent times.
The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows has a very sober architecture, of eighteenth-century style, with arches on the sides that act as side chapels.
Works of art in the Church
On the right side of the nave there is a niche with the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows, painted wood sculpture of 1899, to which the inhabitants of the village dedicate a party in the month of September.
On the left side there is the most valuable work of the church, the beautiful painting of S. Biagio, dated 1862, which represents the patron saint of Maratea with an image in strong colors, far from the classical iconography, in which the unknown author does not fear to show the saint with oriental features, typical of the appearance of an Armenian man.